Dingwall Station is of substantial size, with long platforms and large staffed station building. There was a goods yard to the south-west, though only a single siding now remains next to a loading bank. At the north end of the station is a road overbridge, beyond which there was formerly a bay platform. To the south of the bridge there were three platforms. Only the 'Down' and 'Up' main platforms are now in use. In 1956 there was a siding for Scottish Oils and Shell-Mex Ltd. Dingwall North and Dingwall South signal boxes have been demolished.
View from an Inverness-bound BR Swindon 'cross country' (Class 120) 3-car DMU passing through Muir of Ord Station with tablet-exchange about to take place using lineside tablet-exchange apparatus, 26th August, 1963. [Brian J. Dickson]
Highland Railway '75' Class 4-6-0 No. 75 heads away from Tain with the 4.5pm train for Inverness in September 1923. This locomotive was built by Hawthorn Leslie and entered service in April 1918. It was withdrawn as BR No. 57950 in August 1950. [C.D.E. Roper Nunn/LCGB Ken Nunn Collection]
Ex-HR '75' Class 4-6-0 No. 57955 runs along the double-track section beside the Beauly Firth with a northbound goods train from Inverness, circa 1950. All but two locomotives of this class came into BR ownership in 1948. No. 57955 was built by Hawthorn Leslie and entered service as HR No. 80 in October 1919. It was withdrawn in June 1952. [W.J.V. Anderson]